Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Weekend craftiness with the kids!

Mike's grandkids stayed with us for the weekend and we had a ton of fun hanging out together.  Walker is 7 and Raegan is 6 so they're really old enough to do cool projects and both of them love to craft and make things.   As soon as they get to our house they're asking to go out to my studio.  Interesting aside, ever since we built it, Mike and I have always call it "the building", but Raegan calls it my lab which is especially fun since the science lab is where I spend my daytime hours.

Anyhow, amid lots of playing at the park, ice skating, and feeding of geese and ducks (both normal and weird, anyone know what the two unlabeled ones pictured below are?) we had time for some crafting.

"regular" ducks and geese

unknown ducks?


 We made spoon people, and sculptures out of FIMO clay (alas not pictured) and Walker made a very creative minion in the style of Despicable Me.



 Raegan begged to sew so with my help she made her first quilt top.  She picked out the fabric and after some aborted attempts to rotary cut together (not such a good idea) I cut out the squares.  She liked playing with the arrangement on the design wall, and pinning/sewing/pressing (with a bit of assistance).  We didn't have time to quilt it, but she was super thrilled about her "blanket"  I'm going to layer it and pin bast it and the next time they visit I'll let her quilt it with the walking foot.





I'm so thrilled that both of them are so crafty and creative and am looking forward to spending more time with them (they just moved back closer to us).

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a lovely time was had by all.

    And a first quilt! how exciting. She looks pretty impressed with herself. I would be too :) Great job.

    ReplyDelete